COMBINED LEGGER AND FRENCHMaking-up Operations.
1. Heel-tabs are knitted to the combined leg and foot at “A”.
2. The inside selvedge of the heel-tab is “waled” or “rubbed-out” to give a wide wale for the sidelinker.
3. The first full course of the sole below the heel tab is run on to the points of a side-linking machine. The thin fabric at “A” is cut with a razor blade, and the waled heel selvedge is run on to the same points of this machine. The linking (looping) machine joins the two together. This operation is repeated on the other heel.
4. The ends of the heeltab are linked together stitch by stitch, and the fabric forming the end of the toe is closed by further linking operations.
5. The selvedges of the foot bottom are closed, and the back of the leg is also closed by what is known as a “cup-seaming” operation.
If the Auto-Heeling machine is used, the Making-up Operations are:-
1. Heel-tabs are knitted on to the hose leg and foot at “A”.